Student Access Services


Your personal and educational goals are important to us. Student Access Services at Arapahoe Community College (ACC) can partner with you—encouraging and celebrating accessibility, accountability and self-advocacy. Let us help motivate and support you toward academic success.


The mission of Student Access Services at Arapahoe Community College is to collaborate with members of the College community to assist the College in providing student support services to create a learning environment that promotes access and encourages success for all students. Student Access Services serves as a resource to students, faculty, staff and other community members to provide information, training and professional development in the areas of the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act of 2008 (ADAAA) legal trends, general access issues, cultural considerations, accommodations and accessible technology.

Intake Appointment

Stop by Student Access Services located in Room M2710 (The Main Building on the Littleton Campus) or call 303.797.5937 to schedule an intake appointment. You may print your intake form prior to your scheduled appointment time.

Plan ahead to allow a minimum of one week setup time for most support services. Documentation regarding your disability may be requested.

Requesting Services

Prior to the start of classes, students should request support services. Services should be requested as early as possible because the time needed for implementation will vary based on the service requested. For example, some accommodations require coordination with outside agencies, publishers and other support services. All students with test accommodations must schedule a time to take their test in the Testing Center in the Student Access Services Department. To do so, please fill out a Test Administration Form and complete the Scheduling Test Accommodation(s) request below.

Intake Forms:

Testing Accommodation(s):

Classroom Accommodation(s) Request:

Your Civil Rights

  • Students with disabilities are responsible for contacting Student Access Services if reasonable accommodations are not implemented in an effective or timely way. Student Access Services will work with college personnel and the student to resolve disagreements regarding recommended accommodations.
  • If Student Access Services personnel are unable to resolve a situation, students with disabilities who believe they experienced discrimination or harassment on the basis of your mental or physical disability may file a grievance in the Student Life Department as outlined in the Civil Rights Grievance Procedure (SP4-31a or SP 3-50b) located on the ACC Policies and Guidelines webpage.
  • ACC will make appropriate arrangements to ensure that people with disabilities are provided appropriate accommodations, if needed, to participate in the grievance procedure.