Student D2L Resources
Brightspace by D2L is the learning management system used at ACC to offer mainly Online and Hybrid courses. All other courses also have an online component in D2L where you can find course materials such as the syllabus, handouts and even look up your current grades. We have developed a Student Quick Start Guide that will help you get started in D2L.
Access and View Content
Online discussions PDF - Most of the interaction between classmates and the instructor in an online course takes place through the Discussions section in D2L. This document walks you through the basic steps on how to access, view and participate in online discussions (watch video).
Submitting an assignment PDF - The Dropbox in D2L is where you can submit your assignments. Your instructor usually sets up a Dropbox folder and provides instructions. View this document to learn how to submit your assignment or paper in the Dropbox so that your instructor can receive it online (watch video).
Feedback on Turnitin
Taking an Online Quiz
View Your Grades
View Your Attendance
Viewing Feedback in Assignments
Learn to build and manage your courses / content in D2L.
We have developed a Faculty Quick Start Guide that will help you set up your D2L shell (course) with the minimum requirements. More details on each requirement is listed below:
- Updating Contact Information (PDF) - Learn how to update your contact information in the Welcome widget of the course homepage (watch video).
- Adding a Welcome Announcement (PDF) (watch video) - Learn how to create a welcome announcement for students in the News section of the course homepage.
- Managing Files (PDF) (watch video) - Learn how to upload the syllabus and schedule files to the manage files area. This is the recommended practice for uploading course files into the shell. Following this step, you can link the files anywhere in the course for students to view. The next two documents explain two different possibilities.
- Linking the Syllabus and Schedule in Content (PDF) (watch video) - After uploading the files to the manage files area, learn how to create links to those files in the content area for students to view.
- Creating Syllabus and Schedule Links on the Homepage (PDF) (watch video) - Learn how to create links to the syllabus and the schedule files that were previously uploaded into the manage files area. You can create the links in the Welcome widget of the course homepage.
One of the minimum requirements for your D2L shell is to set up the gradebook and post grades for students to view. Learn everything from setting up your gradebook (points or weighted system) to releasing final grades for students. Below is a list of documents, each accompanied by a video demonstration:
- Creating a Gradebook with the Grades Setup Wizard (PDF) | (watch video)
- Setting up a Points Gradebook (PDF)
- Setting up a Weighted Gradebook (PDF)
- Managing Display Options (PDF) | (watch video)
- Managing Grade Categories and Items (PDF) | (watch video)
- Creating and Applying Grade Schemes (PDF) | (watch video)
- Releasing Final Grades to Students (PDF) | (watch video)
- Exporting Grades to a Spreadsheet (PDF) | (watch video)
- Creating Extra Credit Items (PDF) | (watch video)
- Creating a Running Total Grade Item (PDF) | (watch video)
Accessible Templates and Forms
Thanks to the hard work of the eLearning team and the online advisory committee, we now have accessible syllabi templates. We also have a 4 page review form that was designed by the online advisory committee and is used to review online courses.
The eLearning team has prepared documents that will help you understand and set up the most commonly used tools in your course. Below is a list of these tools:
- Assignments (PDF) | (watch video)
- Content (PDF) | (watch video)
- HTML Editor (PDF) | (watch video)
- Discussions (PDF) | (watch video)
- Quizzes (PDF) | (watch video)
- Question Library (PDF) | (watch video)
- User Progress (PDF) | (watch vdeo)
- Attendance (PDF) | (watch video)
- Groups (PDF)
- Chat (PDF)
- Rubrics (PDF) | (watch video)
- Course Builder (PDF) | (watch video)
- Course Copying for Instructors (PDF) | (watch video)
- Cleaning a Course Shell (PDF) | (watch video)