Be Prepared To Succeed On Your College Placement Test
Essay Essentials - Your essay will be scored based on how well you develop a well-organized, multi-paragraph response to the prompt given. You should use well-structured sentences, language appropriate for your audience, and correct conventions of standard American English. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered.
- Focus and Meaning - The clarity with which you maintain the main idea or point of view.
- Content and Development - The extent to which you elaborate on the ideas and present supporting details.
- Organization - The clarity with which you structure the response and present a logical sequence of ideas.
- Language Use Style - The appropriateness and complexity of vocabulary and sentence structure.
- Mechanics and Conventions - The extent to which your writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics
In general you will want five well-developed paragraphs. One thesis paragraph, three supporting paragraphs and a concluding paragraph. A paragraph typically has 5-7 sentences. Remember to stay on topic. Proof read for typos and other grammatical errors before submitting for scoring.
- SAT Practice Test - This is a great study tool for a passage-based reading and essay practice
- MajorTests.com - For additional study material for the passage-based reading section
- Townsend Press Learning Company - For some video instruction for the reading portion of the test
- Math Study Guide – a FREE Math College Placement Test Study Guide based on which class you need to take for your degree/certificate.
- Math Refresher Course – a FREE four hour boot camp taught by a member of the ACC math department that is designed to help you be successful on the Math College Placement Test