Skip to main content

Classified Leave Sharing Program

  1. Leave Application
    1. The Application for Use of Transferred Leave form must be completed by the requesting classified employee and submitted to the Human Resources Office for verification. Application may be made for personal or immediate family member needs. For purposes of the leave transfer program for family members, preference will be given to a child, parent or spouse requiring the employee's direct care. Human Resources will complete their section and forward to the employee's supervisor and college president for final approval.

      In order to use donated leave, the employee must first exhaust all sick leave (as permitted under BP 3-60) and must not be receiving salary replacement benefits from worker's compensation, short-term disability or long-term disability. It is not intended to cover cases of abusive leave usage. Approval or disapproval will be based on the merits of each individual case and the following guidelines:

      • Application can be made for either personal use or for the care of an immediate family member.
      • Applicants must have one year of service before applying for use of transferred leave.
      • Applicants must have exhausted all annual and sick leave.
      • Requests must be made for reasons of catastrophic illness or injury. Normal pregnancy, common illness, coverage by Worker's Compensation, or PERA disability, are excluded.
      • Application does not constitute automatic approval of the request.
      • If approved, the granted leave is meant to cover only the duration of the illness/injury for which it was collected.
      • Performance, length of service, and leave usage patterns may be considered in the decision to grant or deny the application. Donation of annual leave is not subject to Supervisor approval.
      • All or a portion of the time requested may be granted .
      • The decision to approve or deny the application is final and not subject to grievance or appeal.
      • In cases where the situation ceases to exist or the employee terminates or retires, any unused portion of the collected leave will be refunded to donors.
      • Awarded time may be applied retroactively to the beginning of the leave without-pay period for the illness/injury for which it was granted.
      • State rules and procedures which apply to paid leave apply to use of awarded time except that it is not a part of the final pay-out for retirement or terminations.
    2. Contributions

      Contributions must be made from accrued leave and is credited to the recipient on an hour-for-hour basis. A minimum donation of two hours of accrued annual leave is required. The employee is encouraged to keep some balances for his/her own use.

      Contributions are voluntary and confidential and will no longer be accepted when the amount needed has been received. When more contributions are available than needed, donors will receive a proportionate refund (number of extra hours/number of donors).

    3. Instructions

      Applications must be made in writing on the Application for Use of Transferred Leave form.

      Supporting documents to accompany the application may include records of performance and leave usage. Performance, leave usage patterns, and length of service may be considered in the decision. Letters of support may also be included.