Pharmacy Technician Certificate
CIP 510805 (PHT1)
Currently not accepting applicants
The Pharmacy Technician Program (PHT) is designed in accordance with the standards of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Students are prepared with pharmacy fundamentals and essential technical skills necessary for entry-level technician positions, where they work under a pharmacists' supervision. Program graduates are also employed in various healthcare settings related to the pharmacy profession.
The program spans two semesters, 15 weeks each in length. The second semester is divided into classroom and laboratory courses, followed by 8 weeks of clinical externship, in both Community (4 weeks) and Institutional (4 weeks) pharmacy settings. All courses require either acceptance into the program or the written approval of the PHT Department Chair.
All didactic courses for this certificate are offered in an online/hybrid format, with mandatory face-to-face campus sessions to facilitate hands-on learning in a simulated pharmacy lab setting. Upon successful completion of the didactic and externship phases, students will be prepared to sit for the national pharmacy technician certification exam offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
A clear background check and random drug screen must be completed at the onset of the program. Documentation of immunizations (2 MMRs, chickenpox, at least 2 Hepatitis B, Tdap vaccine, and a current TB test) are pre-requisites for the Pharmacy Internships.
This program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Further information about ASHP can be obtained at 7272 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda, MD 20814, online at https://www.ashp.org/Pharmacy-Technician, or by phone at (301) 657-3000, and ask for accreditation services.
To apply, you may download an application from the Web site, or contact the PHT Department Chair at 303-797-5944, or via e-mail at pharmacy [at] arapahoe [dot] edu (pharmacy[at]arapahoe[dot]edu). Completed applications may be dropped off in person, or mailed to the PHT Department Chair at: ACC, Pharmacy Tech Program – A2215, Campus Box 31, Littleton, CO 80120.
- All courses required for this certificate must be completed with a "C" or better to meet the Pharmacy Practice and graduation requirements.
- To graduate, students must apply for graduation and complete the graduation survey (available via myACC or form available at www.arapahoe.edu/graduation)
- After applying for graduation, all correspondence to a student about the status of their program conferral will be sent to their student email address only.
- As a graduate of a Career and Technical Education program you will be contacted by an ACC employee in approximately six months to verify your employment information. This information gathering is a federal requirement to ensure that ACC receives certain federal funding.
- Information regarding occupations, completion rates, placement rates, program costs and median loan debt may be found at www.arapahoe.edu/departments-and-programs/gainful-employment-disclosure-information.