- College Leadership
- ACC Vision - Strategic Plan
- Employment at ACC
- Faculty & Staff Directory
College Business Services
- Institutional Research
Policies & Procedures
- AP 0-01 ACC Procedure Process
- AP 1-40 Academic Freedom
- AP 3-10 Employment Selection Procedure
- AP 3-10a Employment Standards Faculty Instructors
- AP 3-10b Faculty And Instructor Qualifications
- AP 3-20 Due Process Faculty
- AP 3-31 Evaluation Faculty Job Performance
- AP 3-31a Evaluation Administrative Professional And Technical Staff
- AP 3-44 Faculty Professional Development Award
- AP 3-45 Administrative And Professional Technical Salary Plan
- AP 3-55 Faculty Salary Plan
- AP 3-60 Transitional Retirement Program
- AP 3-80 Faculty Rights Responsibilities And Workload
- AP 3-81 Chairs Rights And Responsibilities
- AP 3-110 Records Management And Colorado Open Records Act Requests
- AP 3-125g Web It Accessibility Plan
- AP 3-150 Employee Code Conduct
- AP 3-170 Compensatory And Overtime
- AP 4-25 Tuition Classification Appeal
- AP 4-30a Student Code Conduct Responsibilities And Rights
- AP 9-30 Curriculum Development
- AP 9-47 Instructional Program Review
- AP 19-30a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus
- Classified Leave Sharing Program
- Visit ACC
AP 3-81 Chairs Rights And Responsibilities
Arapahoe Community College
Series 3 – College Personnel
AP 3-81 Department Chair Rights and Responsibilities
Originated: May 2000
Revised: May 2006; March 2015, July 2016; July 2018
Effective: May 2000; May 2006; March 2015; July 2016; July 2018
Diana M. Doyle, Ph.D.
President, Arapahoe Community College
To provide information related to the selection process, compensation, rights, and responsibilities of faculty who serve as department chairs.
This Procedure contains pertinent information affecting faculty members, current through the date of its issuance. To the extent that any provision of this Procedure is inconsistent with State or Federal law, State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education Policies (BPs) or Colorado Community College System President’s Procedures (SPs), the law, BPs and SPs shall supersede and control. BPs and SPs are subject to change throughout the year and are effective immediately upon adoption by the Board or System President, respectively. Faculty members are expected to be familiar with and adhere to the BPs, SPs as well as College directives, including but not limited to this Procedure.
Nothing in this Procedure is intended to create (nor shall be construed as creating) an express or implied contract or to guarantee employment for any term. The College reserves the right to modify, change, delete or add to this Procedure as it deems appropriate.
Faculty, as defined in BP 3-10 Administration of Personnel, assigned to fulfill department administrative and supervisory responsibilities and activities that are appropriately compensated.
Department - a unique discipline or several disciplines which may contain multiple prefixes and comprise a minimum amount of FTE.
Chair - member of the faculty in a department selected to serve as chair. Works collaboratively with other contractual faculty, instructors, and staff to carry out administrative and supervisory functions. Reports to the respective Dean.
- Method of Selection
The Department, with advice and consent of the Dean, will select its chair. Each department shall determine the length of the Chair's term. However, the term shall be a minimum of one year and a maximum of three years with no limitations as to the number of terms. Chairs serve contingent upon proficient performance in administrative duties.
- Department chair compensation is outlined in AP 3-55.
- Rights of Chairs
- Chairs shall have all rights as faculty members. (See AP 3-80 Faculty Rights, Responsibilities and Workload.)
- Chairs shall have access to all information needed to manage and administer department budgets, perform faculty evaluations and meet the needs of the department.
- Chairs shall have access to clearly itemized comprehensive budgets in a reasonable time frame, to inform management decisions and monitoring of departmental needs.
- Chairs shall have the right to call, organize and conduct meetings of the department and to coordinate the budget planning and assessment process.
- Chairs shall have the right to meaningful input and full participation from everyone in the Department in achieving Department goals and objectives.
- Chairs shall have the right to fair and equitable compensation for assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Chairs shall have the right to adequate clerical support.
- Responsibilities of Chairs
- Fulfill all assigned department chair responsibilities and activities (refer to Appendix A).
- Fulfill all faculty work load responsibilities, as stated in AP 3-80 and Appendix B of AP 3-80, including teaching, service, professional development, and department service.
- Work the full faculty contract plus an additional 26 days as follows:
- 5 days prior to the start of the spring and fall semesters.
- 2 days after the last faculty contract day of each spring and fall semester.
- 12 days during the summer to be determined in collaboration with the Dean.
Appendix A - Department Chair Responsibilities and Activities
Faculty members serving as department chairs have duties beyond teaching that may include leadership, supervision, management, coordination, budget control, curriculum development, conflict resolution and problem solving. As a learning college Arapahoe Community College recognizes that these positions are organic and must adapt to the needs of the program/department being served. Therefore, specific duties and responsibilities associated with this role are listed below.
- Teaching and Learning (50%)
- Teaches 8-10 credit hours (adjusted) per year.
- May teach up to one course (3-5 adjusted credits) each semester as overload and up to 9 adjusted credits overload during summer term.
- Maintains quality of instruction within the department through classroom observations and associated feedback, as well as review of student evaluations and course data for full-time faculty and part-time instructors in department chair's discipline.
- Supports program chairs in their oversight of part-time instructors where applicable.
- Responds to student concerns and inquiries, with dean involvement as needed. Student conduct issues would be referred to Student Affairs.
- Oversees concurrent enrollment liaisons, as applicable, to ensure quality college instruction in service area high schools.
- Creates a student-centered schedule for the department, maximizing pathways, student retention and completion, and rooming factors.
- Develops and leads the development of program reviews / renewals and comprehensive reviews to ensure instructional quality.
- Collaborates with administration and program chairs for curriculum development and approval for new degrees and certificates.
- Leads program-level assessment in collaboration with program chairs.
- Coordinates with Advising and Testing Center departments, where applicable, regarding current and prospective students within the department.
- Leadership (25%)
- Performs annual performance evaluations for full-time faculty in accordance with SP 3-31 to support quality instruction in the classroom and personal / professional growth for faculty.
- Collaborates with dean, programs chairs, and faculty to create and manage departmental budget.
- Serves as hiring authority for new faculty. Works collaboratively with dean on final round of interviews to make hiring decisions with final approval from dean.
- Makes recommendations for moving provisional faculty to non-provisional status with final approval by dean.
- Calls, organizes, and conducts meetings of the department with support from the dean.
- Collaborates with recruitment and outreach personnel for program marketing.
- Supports advisory board functions in collaboration with CTE program chairs.
- Collaborates with professionals in the community and industry to build department relationships.
- Collaborates with program chairs and faculty to analyze workforce trends and anticipate program needs.
- Supports program chairs with CTE 5-year program renewals and program area outside accreditation where applicable.
- Operations (25%)
- Responsible for the onboarding process to hire part-time instructors including the completion of ePAF. Recommendations for qualified candidates will come from program chairs.
- Collaborates with program chairs / coordinators on the accuracy of syllabi for classes taught in the department, consistent with ACC guidelines.
- Initiates appropriate paperwork for department purchases and approves department purchases up to $1,000.
- Approves FOAP FLAC for full-time faculty and part-time instructors.
- Serves as bookstore liaison for textbook orders submitted by program chairs. May submit textbook orders for own discipline.