Medical Laboratory Technology, AAS
CIP 511004 (MLT)
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Medical Laboratory Technology is designed to prepare qualified technicians to perform a variety of complex laboratory tests which play an important role in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of many diseases and in the promotion of health. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take national examinations to become certified Medical Laboratory Technicians.
As a certified MLT, employment is available in hospitals and clinics as well as veterinary, industrial and environmental laboratories in Colorado or in other states.
The MLT Program is delivered in an online/hybrid format and is available in a 1-year fast track option and 2-year traditional route. More than two years may be taken to complete the program. Students may begin general education classes at any time, according to published semester schedules. All MLT didactic courses are offered in a hybrid format. Student lab sessions meet on select Fridays from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm and on Saturdays 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
The program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) and the American Medical Association http://www.naacls.org. NAACLS can be reached at 5600 N. River Rd. Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, phone (773) 714-8880; Fax (773) 714-8886; Email: naacls [at] mcs [dot] net.
* to satisfy graduation or transfer requirements BIO 201 and BIO 202 must have been taken within the last 6 years and CIS 118 must have been taken within the last 6 years.
- Admission to Arapahoe Community College
- Complete MLT Program Online Application
- Personal interview with MLT Program Director
- College Placement Test is required for all MLA students (scores of 96 or higher in Reading and a 5 on the Essay OR 80 in Reading and a 6 on the Essay and MAT 050 or equivalent placement test scores.
- Accuplacer scores can still be accepted if not older than three years. Minimum Accuplacer scores to be considered are 95 or higher on sentence and 45 or higher in Elementary Algebra 45+ or equivalent ACT/ SAT scores or appropriate prior college-level coursework)
- Criminal Background Check (prior to registering for any MLT course)
Transfer students: Courses from NAACLS-approved MLT-CLT programs and Military Laboratory Specialists programs will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- All major, general education and other courses required for this degree must be completed with a "C" or better to meet graduation requirements.
- To graduate, students must apply for graduation and complete the graduation survey (available via myACC). (form available at www.arapahoe.edu/graduation)
- After applying for graduation, all correspondence to a student about the status of their program conferral will be sent to their student email address only.
- As a graduate of a Career and Technical Education program you will be contacted by an ACC employee in approximately six months to verify your employment information. This information gathering is a federal requirement to ensure that ACC receives certain federal funding.