Advanced Paramedic Practitioner BAS - Academic Plan
Total Credits = 120
This Bachelor of Applied Science degree prepares students to advance in the field of paramedicine. Paramedics provide emergency care to the sick and injured, predominantly in out-of-hospital environments. Students learn about community paramedic practice, critical care and behavioral health practice, leadership, research, communication and quality improvement in health fields.
Career paths for paramedic graduates include working with fire departments, ambulance companies, rescue organizations, flight programs and hospital emergency departments.
A full time student can complete this Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree in two years. This degree prepares students to advance in the field of paramedicine and health care. Students are eligible to take the Critical Care Paramedic and Community Paramedic exams leading to endorsement in the State of Colorado at these levels. Students successful completing this degree are eligible for licensure in the State of Colorado.
To be successful, students should have an interest in medicine and like variety and excitement. Strong interpersonal communication skills, including listening and writing are a must.
- Complete an advanced medical assessment to establish a patient care plan incorporating findings from a physical exam, history (PMX and HPI) and lab values.
- Assist patients with emotional and psychological conditions or crisis.
- Assist patients with acute and chronic medical and traumatic conditions.
- Work collaboratively with healthcare agencies and services to establish an integrated healthcare network to better serve communities.
- Evaluate current research and perform new research to assess current best medical practice and community needs.
- Work collaboratively with healthcare agencies and services to establish preventive strategies to foster healthier communities.
Recommended Course Sequence (Full-Time Track)
- 15 Credits - AAS Degree General Education Coursework*
Recommended Course Sequence (Part-Time Track)
- 15 credits - AAS Degree General Education Coursework*
- AAS Degree General Education Coursework 15 Credits including:
ENG 1021 - English Composition I: GT-CO1 3 Credits
BIO 2101 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab: GT-SC1 4 Credits
BIO 2102 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab: GT-SC1 4 Credits
- Course availability is subject to change.
- Refer to 2023/2024 catalog for specific requirements and important information about this degree.