CIP 510904 (EMPR)
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educations Programs. This program is offered two times per year, starting in January and June. Students have the option of attending full-time or part-time.
The Paramedic Program has four components: Lecture, Lab, Clinical and Field internships. This is approximately 1200 hours. The student must complete all coursework, lecture, lab, clinical and field internship, as well as pass all academic and practical components before sitting for the National Registry Examination.
Following are many of the topics covered: EMS systems, paramedic roles and responsibilities, injury and illness prevention, medical/legal issues, ethics, path physiology, pharmacology, medication administration, patient assessment, trauma management, respiratory system management, cardiovascular management, management of medical emergencies, pediatric management, management of obstetric and gynecologic emergencies, management of emotional crisis, assessment bases management and EMS operations.
All students enrolled in this program are encouraged to apply for graduation upon completion of the program
The student must have the following prerequisites to be considered for entrance into this program:
- Admission to Arapahoe Community College
- One year of documented EMT Basic or Intermediate field experience
- Basic ECG Interpretation class
- IV Certification
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare CPR certificate
- HEP B vaccinations (or Titer)
- MMR vaccinations (2) (or Titer)
- Tetanus vaccination within the last 10 years
- TB Skin Test
- CBI criminal background check
- College-level Anatomy and Physiology (4 credit hours). (BIO 201, BIO 202, or BIO 106 will meet this requirement.)
- Must receive an acceptable score on the HOBET EKG and EMT - Basic entrance exams
- All courses required for this program must be completed with a "C" or better.
- Apply for graduation online at www.arapahoe.edu/graduation.
- As a graduate of a Career and Technical Education program you will be contacted by an ACC employee in approximately six months to verify your employment information. This information gathering is a federal requirement to ensure that ACC receives certain federal funding.
- Information regarding occupations, completion rates, placement rates, program costs and median loan debt may be found at www.arapahoe.edu/departments-and-programs/gainful-employment-disclosure-information.