Law Enforcement Academy Certificate
CIP 430107 (LEA)
The Law Enforcement Academy is a P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certified program accredited through the Colorado P.O.S.T. Board. The Law Enforcement Academy is basic training for law enforcement officers and enables graduates to take the P.O.S.T. certification test to become certified as peace officers in Colorado. The ACC Academy program consists of 40 semester credit hours consisting of 700+ contact hours involving lecture, practical exercises, skills training and fitness. This program exceeds the hours required by P.O.S.T. for a Basic Law Enforcement Academy and includes the P.O.S.T. written exam following graduation.
Students must possess current CPR and First Aid Certifications (included in the program) in order to sit for the P.O.S.T. exam. Due to the Intensity and format of the classes in the academy no electives are required or recommended during the Academy program.
The Law Enforcement Academy requires an additional application process, including but not limited to:
- a personal advising interview with a member of the Academy staff
- a criminal background check prior to acceptance and enrollment
- A High School Diploma, G.E.D or equivalent
- Current and valid Colorado driver's license.
- ENG 121 or higher or assessed to be at college-level English (see Student Resources and Services - Assessment in this Catalog)
- Ability to legally possess firearms
- No criminal history of any Felonies or any Misdemeanor specified in 24-31-305(1.5) (b) through (h), C.R.S.
For more information, please contact the Law Enforcement Academy Program in Room N1170 or at 303.797.5793.
- All courses in the academy must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- Apply for graduation online at www.arapahoe.edu/graduation.
- As a graduate of a Career and Technical Education program you will be contacted by an ACC employee in approximately six months to verify your employment information. This information gathering is a federal requirement to ensure that ACC receives certain federal funding.
- Information regarding occupations, completion rates, placement rates, program costs and median loan debt may be found at www.arapahoe.edu/departments-and-programs/gainful-employment-disclosure-information.