Computer Network Technology – Network Security AAS - Academic Plan
The Computer Network Technology program prepares individuals for jobs in the computer networking field. Students in this program gain hands-on experience with computer hardware, software and networks. Upon successful completion of the program, the student will have the needed background to prepare to take one or more of the following exams: Network+; Security+; MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist; Security +; or CISCO CCNA.
Total Credits = 60
|Required Courses - General Education Courses||Credits||Pre or Co Reqs Required||Course Available Fall?||Course Available Spring?||Course Available Summer?|
|BUS 2017 - Business Communication & Report Writing||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|CIS 1018 - Intro to PC Applications||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|COM 1150 - Public Speaking* OR
COM 1250 - Interpersonal Communication
|ENG 1021 - English Composition GT-CO1 OR
ENG 1031 - Technical Writing GT-CO1*
|MAT 1340 - College Algebra: GT-MA1*||4||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Required Courses - Major Courses||Credits||Pre or Co Reqs Required||Course Available Fall?||Course Available Spring?||Course Available Summer?|
|CIS 2002 - Automated Project Management: MS Project||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|CIS 2087 - Cooperative Education||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|CNG 1021 - Computer Technician I: A+||4||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|CNG 1024 - Networking I: Network+||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|CNG 1025 - Networking II: Network+||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|CNG 1032 - Network Security Fundamentals||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|CNG 2012 - Configuring Windows Server||4||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|CNG 2024 - Microsoft Windows Wireless Network||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Required Courses - Concentration Courses||Credits||Pre or Co Reqs Required||Course Available Fall?||Course Available Spring?||Course Available Summer?|
|CIS 2020 - Fundamentals of Unix||3||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|CNG 1042 - Introduction to Cloud Computing Concepts||3||No||Yes||No||No|
|CNG 2043 - Cloud Security and Cyber Law||3||No||No||Yes||No|
|CNG 2053 - Firewalls and How They Work||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Electives - Pick 2 (See Notes for specific requirements)||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Recommended Course Sequence (Full-Time Track)
~Choose One Course~
Recommended Course Sequence (Part-Time Track)
- *This course requires college level readiness as measured by Accuplacer, ACT, or SAT scores; approved high school course work that is less than five years old; or successful completion of appropriate college-readiness course.
- AAA 1001 – College 101: Student Experience is required for all new college students seeking degrees or transfer.
- Course availability is subject to change. Elective: Choose any 6 elective credits from courses with the following prefixes (except those courses listed above): CIS, CNG, CSC, or CWB.
- In order to meet program requirements, students registered for ENG 1021 or ENG 1031 must also register for ENG 0094 unless they can demonstrate otherwise meeting the ENG 0094 standard through assessment testing, prior college coursework, or recent High School coursework. See an Advisor for details.
- Recommended courses may be listed above for certain electives; consult with the Academic Advising Office (advising [at] arapahoe [dot] edu or 303.797.5664) or the Computer Networking Faculty (mark [dot] snyder [at] arapahoe [dot] edu or nina [dot] amey [at] arapahoe [dot] edu) for additional elective recommendations.
- Refer to 2022/2023 catalog for specific requirements and important information about this degree