“Philosophy...is a reasoned pursuit of fundamental truths, a quest for understanding, a study of principles of conduct. It seeks to establish standards of evidence, to provide rational methods of resolving conflicts, and to create techniques for evaluating ideas and arguments. Philosophy develops the capacity to see the world from the perspective of other individuals and other cultures; it enhances one's ability to perceive the relationships among the various fields of study; and it deepens one's sense of the meaning and variety of human experience.”
- American Philosophical Association committee on the status and future of the profession.
Why Study Philosophy? The Value of Philosophy
Studying philosophy at ACC will allow you to share ideas and learn from different perspectives. Philosophy teaches you how to think rather than what to think, and for that reason philosophy will help prepare you for any field you wish to pursue.
Philosophy can help prepare you in ways you never knew possible. By teaching you critical thinking, writing and communication skills, philosophy prepares you for a career in many fields and has been shown to produce higher test scores for management, law school and medical schools. Not to mention that employers are looking for employees with skills learned in liberal arts and philosophy courses. However, a fulfilling career is not the only reason to study philosophy. Philosophy can also help you to live a fulfilling life by teaching you how to seek out truth and knowledge to find fulfillment and understanding of the world around you.
Still not sure Philosophy is right for you?
Don't just take our word for it. Read about the benefits of choosing philosophy and how it can help prepare you in a variety of occupations.
- Why Study Philosophy: Resources for Undergraduates from the American Philosophical Association
- “Surprise: Humanities Degrees Provide Great Return on Investment” by Jeffrey Dorfman (Forbes)
- “The Unexpected Way Philosophy Majors Are Changing The World Of Business” by Carol Gregoire (Huffington Post)
- “Be Employable Study Philosophy” by Shannon Rupp (Salon)
- “Why Future Business Leaders Need Philosophy” by Anders Berg Poulsen (Grasp Magazine)
- “Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major?” by Edward Tenner (The Atlantic)
- “In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Life Examined” by Winnie Hu (New York Times)
- “I think, therefore I Earn” by Jessica Shepherd (The Guardian)
Philosophy Transfer Options
Are you thinking about transferring to a four-year university after you finish your philosophy degree at ACC? Here are some of your options:
- Colorado State University - Fort Collins
- Colorado State University - Pueblo
- Fort Lewis College
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- University of Colorado - Boulder
- University of Colorado - Colorado Springs
- University of Colorado - Denver
- University of Northern Colorado
- Western State Colorado University
Are you ready to Move Mountains in a field that will help you explore the world and keep you learning for life? Come have the discussions that you might not have around the dinner table, contemplate life, ask questions and offer answers. It’s all possible with philosophy. Get started at ACC. Apply now!