Mortuary Science Practitioners, also known in the industry as funeral directors and morticians, have the rewarding opportunity to provide counsel, service and emotional support for those who have experienced the loss of a loved one. Practitioners have a variety of responsibilities such as helping families plan necessary details, directing funeral services with dignity and respect and preparing the deceased through embalming, restorative and cosmetic arts. The program’s strong theoretic basis is complemented with practical training, resulting in a well-rounded curriculum.
We recognize Mortuary Science Personnel as:
- Members of a human services profession.
- Members of the community in which they serve.
- Participants in the relationship between bereaved families and those engaged in the funeral service profession.
- Professionals knowledgeable of and compliant with federal, state and local regulatory guidelines.
- Professionals sensitive to the responsibility for public health, safety and welfare in caring for human remains.
Our mission is:
- To expand the background and knowledge of students about the funeral service profession.
- To educate students in every phase of funeral service to enable them to develop the social and technical skills necessary to be successful in the profession.
- To educate students concerning the responsibilities of the funeral service profession to the community at large.
- To emphasize high standards of ethical conduct.
- To provide curriculum at the post secondary level of instruction.
- To encourage research in the field of funeral service.
The Mortuary Science Degree Program at Arapahoe Community College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE)
3414 Ashland Avenue, Suite G
St. Joseph, Missouri 64506
National Board Examination scores, graduation rates, and employment rates for this and other ABFSE-accredited programs are available at www.abfse.org. To request a printed copy of this program’s scores and rates, go to the office of the Mortuary Science Department Chair, M4935, or by email at email@example.com, or by telephone at 303-797-5954.