ACC offers an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology. The MLT program is designed to prepare qualified technicians to perform various laboratory procedures which encompass low, medium and high complexity testing.
Interested, enthusiastic learners may complete the program using a 2-year traditional route or a 1-year fast track. Upon successful completion graduates are eligible to take national certification examinations to become certified as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
As a certified MLT, employment is available in hospitals, medical clinics, physician offices, laboratories, public health facilities, nursing homes as well as in veterinary, industrial and environmental laboratories in Colorado and nationwide. Upon graduation and initial employment, the MLT will be able to demonstrate entry level competencies following professional practice duties.
Professional Practice Duties
MLTs possess a fascination for both science and medicine. They demonstrate a commitment to excellence in working with their healthcare partners and physicians to determine the causes of patient illness.
Professional practice duties include:
- collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis
- performing analytical tests on body fluids, cells and blood products
- recognizing factors that affect procedures and results, and taking appropriate actions within predetermined limits when corrections are indicated
- monitoring quality control within predetermined limits
- performing preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments or referring to appropriate sources for repairs
- demonstrating professional conduct and interpersonal communication skills with patients, laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, and with the public
- recognizing the responsibilities of other laboratory and health care personnel and interacting with them with respect for their jobs and patient care
- applying basic scientific principles in learning new techniques and procedures
- relating laboratory findings to common disease processes
- recognizing and acting upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of growth and maintenance of professional competence
Online Course Offerings / On Campus Laboratory Sessions
ALL MLT classes are offered in an online/hybrid format for each MLT online/hybrid course students meet for laboratory sessions on Fridays from 4:30pm – 8:30pm & Saturdays from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm.
Courses from NAACLS accredited CLT/MLT programs and Military Laboratory Specialists programs will be evaluated on an individual basis. Commercial-technical programs are not eligible for transfer credit unless North Central accredited.
Students may begin academic courses, other than MLT courses, at any time, according to published semester schedules.
At today's tuition rates, the 63 credit hours of the MLT A.A.S. degree would only cost a COF (College Opportunity Fund) eligible student approximately $8,500. For tuition and fees updates and tuition information for non-residents, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
The ACC program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences NAACLS, 8410 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 670, Chicago, IL 60631-3415, (773) 714-8880