Begin your path to politics or community / public service with an Associate of Arts transfer degree in Political Science.
Do you dream of making a difference in politics or through community service? Your degree in Political Science is the first step on your path to a career in politics or community / public service. You’ll learn about political and governmental institutions and processes, the conduct of government and the creation of government policy, the structure and activities of political parties, and the social, cultural, ethnic and historical factors that drive these activities. You’ll also develop valuable job skills like political analysis, communication, and public administration. Once you graduate, you’ll be able to transfer to any Colorado 4-year university as a junior to finish your Bachelor’s degree.
What You'll Learn
While completing your Political Science AA, you’ll learn:
- Democracy in theory and practice
- The legislative process of a proposed bill becoming a law
- To think critically by establishing a conclusion based on the information presented
- The impact and importance of participation in the political system
- How human values elate to the making of policy
CIP 240101 (POLS)
The purpose of a statewide articulation agreement is to identify the courses a student at a Colorado public community college must complete as part of an AA/AS degree to be guaranteed to be able to complete the designated baccalaureate degree program at public four-year colleges and universities as designated by the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) transfer agreement.
For more information about this transfer degree please refer to the Colorado Department of Higher Education website.
- ENG 122 - English Composition II: GT-CO2 3 Credits AND
- GT - One GT Pathways -approved CO3 course (GTCO3)
- GT - Two GT Pathways Arts & Humanities courses (GTAH1, GT-AH2, GT-AH3, or GT-AH4)
- GT - One GT Pathways History course (GT-HI1)
- GT - Two GT Pathways Natural & Physical Science (GTSC1)
Please Note: If these credits are not required for the major at a receiving 4-year institution, they will be applied to the Bachelor's degree as elective credit towards graduation. Please check with the receiving institution to determine in which way these courses will be applied.
Note: Additional POS courses beyond the 4 courses identified above may not count toward the Political Science major at the receiving 4-year institution.
Elective credit must be completed from the following lists of approved prefixes or courses to bring the total credit hours to 60.
- Any Guaranteed Transfer course.
- Any course in the following prefixes except Special Topics, Independent Study, Capstone, and Internships:
ANT, ART, BIO (100 OR above), CHE, ECO, HIS, HUM, LIT, MUS, PED, PHI, PHY (105 OR above), POS, PSY, SOC.
- ENG 131 - Technical Writing I: GT-CO1 3 Credits (OR higher ENG course)
- HWE 124 - Fitness and Wellness 2 Credits
- MAT 120 - Mathematics for Liberal Arts: GT-MA1 4 Credits (OR higher MAT course)
- ANY Foreign Language (including ASL) numbered 111 or higher
All courses required for this degree must be completed with a "C" or better to be considered for transfer to another Colorado institution. Transferability of courses to colleges or universities outside of Colorado is determined by the receiving institution.
- Apply for graduation online at www.arapahoe.edu/graduation.
ACC academic plans will help guide you through your chosen program. The academic plan will provide you with important information, like which semesters courses are offered, if there are any pre-requisites or co-requisites for courses, program outcomes, course sequence recommendations, notes for the program, graduation requirements and other important information. These are updated annually, so we recommend downloading a copy of yours to keep on track to graduation.
Job Potential in Political Science
A background in Political Science opens doors to a wide variety of career paths. You’ll have the flexibility to discover your career in a number of fields because you’ll have high-demand skills. You could have a career as a: