Earn an Associate of Applied Science in Mortuary Science and provide services and support for those who have experienced the death of a loved one.
Empathy, communication, and an interest in human services are a few of the qualities that our Mortuary Science students possess. Our mission is to educate you in every phase of funeral service to develop both the social and technical skills necessary to be successful in the profession. We are nationally recognized because of our high standards, small class sizes, and online course options and we have the only program of its kind in Colorado. Our faculty are national conference presenters, widely published, and have over 30 years of clinical embalming experience. With your Associate of Applied Science degree in Mortuary Science, you will be one step closer to helping the deceased and their loved ones in such a crucial time.
What You'll Learn
The central objective of the ACC Mortuary Science Program is to educate students in every phase of funeral service so that program graduates are prepared for entry-level employment in funeral service. In support of this objective, the program as adopted the following Learning Outcomes:
- Explain the importance of funeral service professionals in developing relationships with the families and communities they serve.
- Identify standards of ethical conduct in funeral service practice.
- Interpret how federal, state, and local laws apply to funeral service in order to ensure compliance.
- Apply principles of public health and safety in the handling and preparation of human remains.
- Demonstrate technical skills in embalming and restorative art that are necessary for the preparation and handling of human remains.
- Demonstrate skills required for conducting arrangement conferences, visitations, services, and ceremonies.
- Describe the requirements and procedures for burial, cremation, and other accepted forms of final disposition of human remains.
- Describe methods to address the grief-related needs of the bereaved.
- Explain management skills associated with operating a funeral establishment.
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills and research skills needed for funeral service practice.
You'll also be eligible to take the National Board Exam (NBE). Compare NBE statistics.
CIP 120301 (MOR)
Mortuary Science is a field of human and community service which offers a variety of work, intellectual challenge and satisfaction of helping the bereaved through life's most trying period. The program prepares individuals to become a mortuary science practitioner, funeral director and embalmer.
Accreditation Status: The Mortuary Science Program at Arapahoe Community College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE). The Board can be reached at 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108, Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097, 816.233.3747, www.abfse.org.
National Board Examination pass rates, graduation rates, and employment rates for this and other ABFSE-accredited programs are available at www.abfse.org. To request a printed copy of this program's pass rates go to the office of the Mortuary Science Program Chair, M4945, or by email at jim [dot] hurley [at] arapahoe [dot] edu, or by telephone at 303-797-5716.
- Admission to Arapahoe Community College
- Complete a Mortuary Science application
The Mortuary Science Degree Program at Arapahoe Community College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108, Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097, (816) 233-3747. Web: www.abfse.org.
National Board Examination scores, graduation rates, and employment rates for this and other ABFSE-accredited programs are available at www.abfse.org.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check through ACC. View disqualifying events information
Please note: Criminal background checks require a fee and the applicant's social security number. Should the background check reveal any disqualifying factors or a positive drug screen, the student will be required to drop the program.
- View the Mortuary Science program information packet
|Year||Total Enrolled||# of New Students||# of Grads||Timely Grad*||Grad Rates||Did Not Finish**||Overall % Employed||Employed in FS|
* Timely graduation = complete program in 1 1/2 times designated program length.
** Left before completing the program; did not finish.
|3 year average||# Pass Arts||% Pass Sciences|
|Most recent||# Takers||# Passed|
The skills and knowledge you will gain throughout your courses will prepare you to start your career immediately after you graduate from ACC. With your Associate of Applied Science in Mortuary Science, you’ll be prepared for a rewarding career as a(n):