Early Childhood Director Certificate - Academic Plan
Want to make a difference in a young child's life? Consider the field of Early Childhood Education. Research supports the importance of high quality, early childhood programs which impact children's development throughout their school years and on into adult life. One of the most important influences is the teacher.
Arapahoe Community College and the Early Childhood Education program faculty are committed te prepare professionals to work with young children, birth through age 8, in a variety of settings. The Early Childhood Director Certificate will prepare students for early childhood director positions in early childhood care and education settings. Upon completion of these classes, you will have met academic requirements as an Early Childhood Director. In addition to the academic requirements, the Colorado Department of Human Services requires at least 6 months (910 hours) of verifiable work experience.
All Early Childhood and general education coursework must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
Total Credits = 30
|Required Courses - Major Courses||Credits||Pre or Co Reqs Required||Course Available Fall?||Course Available Spring?||Course Available Summer?|
|ECE 1011 - Introduction to Early Childhood Education*||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ECE 1045 - Introduction to Early Childhood Education Techniques||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|ECE 1031 - Guidance Strategies for Young Children*||3||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ECE 1111 - Infant and Toddler Theory and Practice*||3||Yes||yes||Yes||No|
|ECE 2051 - ECE Nutrition, Health, and Safety||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|ECE 2621 - ECE Curriculum Development: Methods and Techniques||3||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|ECE 2381 - ECE Child Growth and Development*||3||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|ECE 2401 - Administration of Early Childhood Care and Education Programs||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|ECE 2411 - Administration: Human Relations for Early Childhood Education||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|ECE 2601 - The Exceptional Child||3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
Recommended Course Sequence (Full-Time Track)
Recommended Course Sequence (Part-Time Track)
- *This course requires college level readiness as measured by Accuplacer, ACT, or SAT scores; approved high school course work that is less than five years old; or successful completion of appropriate college-readiness course.
- Completion of an FBI background check is required for all students entering the program. This process is completed online with an associated cost. Contact Castle Branch.
- Course availability is subject to change.
- ECE 1045 , ECE 2051 , ECE 2381 , and ECE 2401 are only available in an online format during the Spring term.
- ECE 1111 , ECE 2411 , and ECE 2601 are only available in an online format during the Fall term.
- In addition to the academic requirements, the Colorado Department of Human Services requires at least 6 months (910 hours) of verifiable work experience.
- Recommended courses may be listed above for certain electives; consult with the Academic Advising Office (advising [at] arapahoe [dot] edu or 303.797.5664) for additional elective recommendations.
- Refer to 2022/2023 catalog for specific requirements and important information about this certificate.