The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens on October 1 each year for the following academic year (October 1, 2019 for the 2020-2021 academic year). We’ve created a list of 8 tips to help you prepare and ensure you get the aid for which you are eligible.
- Apply as soon as you can and know your college’s priority deadline. ACC’s is March 1 for the following academic year.
- It can be filled out online at FAFSA.gov or by downloading the myStudentAid app from the Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
- Items you’ll need to complete the FAFSA for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Your 2018 federal tax returns to use to apply for aid for 2020-2021
- Your driver’s license number
- Your social security number or alien registration number
- Your FAFSA ID – if you have already created one
- Bank statements and records of investments such as stocks, bonds, 529 plans, and investment homes
- Records of untaxed income (workers compensation and disability benefits) – if applicable
- The school code for the college(s) you are considering attending – ACC’s is 001346
- If you were born after January 1, 1997, you’ll have to also provide the information in item #3 for your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Only 1 FAFSA is required per year, but you do have to complete it each year you go to college.
- Get help! We offer FAFSA Labs almost every Monday throughout the year (excluding holidays) from 1-6pm at the Littleton Campus. These are open to anyone (not just students) to get the help you need to successfully complete your FAFSA and ensure get the aid you are eligible for.
- Once you apply and enroll in classes at the college/university you choose, be sure to read your student email and check your student portal for information about your financial aid award package. You may need to provide more information to receive your award or accept some components to collect them.
- Know what the types of awards are and if you have to repay them. Learn more about the types of aid and how financial aid works at ACC.
We hope you feel a little more prepared to complete your FAFSA for next year. If you have any questions regarding financial aid at ACC, contact our Financial Aid Office at 303.797.5661, email finaid [at] arapahoe [dot] edu, or visit the office at the Littleton Campus – Main Building – M2330.