Applying for Financial Aid

How to Apply Step by Step: Financial Aid

The financial aid application is the only thing you need for ACC to determine how much aid you are eligible to receive from all federal, state and institutional sources.  Applying is easy!

Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first served basis (view the schedule of important deadlines).  For timely processing, submit your application by May 1 for priority consideration for the following academic year (August  - May).

Checklist for Financial Aid Students

    1. Apply for Admission
    2. Declare a Student Declaration of Major Form
    3. Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA Application)
    4. If we request a copy of your tax information, you have been selected for a process called verification by the US Department of Education.  If you are selected for verification (it will be noted on the first page of your SAR) please submit a signed copy of your most recent Federal Tax Return. If you are a dependent student, we will also need a signed copy of your parents' federal tax return.

Make the process easier:

  • Sign-up for a U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN)  at .  A PIN is your key to financial aid on the Web. Your PIN is how the U.S. Department of Education identifies you online and you can use it to access many helpful services throughout your educational career.
    • Parents of dependent students should obtain their own PIN.
  • A copy of your federal taxes, if not using the IRS data match (recommended)
  • A copy of your parent’s taxes, if considered a dependent student (generally unmarried students under 24).
  • It takes about 20-30 minutes to get through the application.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA)

  • The FAFSA is the application used to determine your eligibility for student financial aid. This aid can include grants, scholarships, work-study, and loans.  
  • Make sure you request your results be sent to Arapahoe Community College. Our title IV school code is 001346.
  • Though, you only need to submit one application, you can return and make corrections to the FAFSA any time.

Receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education

  • The SAR is delivered to you via email or physical mail after your FAFSA has been processed by the U.S. Department of Education
  • Your SAR will have a synopsis of your FAFSA application. Please read through this to make sure that the information provided is correct and accurate
  • We will receive your SAR electronically at the same time you do. ACC will let you know if we require any additional information from you in order to complete your file.
  • Any aid amounts mentioned on the SAR, or in the process of completing your FAFSA, are estimates from the U.S. Department of Education.  ACC will inform you of the actual aid available to you.

Additional forms that might be requested of you:

  • Selective service: All males between the ages of 18-26 are required to register with selective service.
  • Declaration of degree: If you have not declared a degree yet, or need to change what is currently listed, complete a Student Declaration of Major. Make certain to select a program which is eligible for financial aid.
  • If you are selected for verification, complete the appropriate Verification Worksheet(s).
  • Tax Return Transcript(s) (see below)

To obtain your Tax Return Transcript:

  • The easiest method is to log on to your FAFSA and make a correction.
  • Go to the Financial Info tab and select the option to use the IRS Data Retrieval to link your Tax Transcript directly to the FAFSA.
  • Obtain online at the official IRS website
    • Go to In the “Tools” section, click “Order a Return or Account Transcript” Go to “Order a Transcript” and enter all requested information, make sure you have the correct tax year. We CAN’T accept a “TAX ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT.” Please make sure you choose the "TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT” option.
  • Make a request over the phone
    • Contact the IRS by phoning 1-800-908-9946. After entering your Social Security number and address, select Option 2 to order a TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT. and enter the correct tax year.