How do I obtain a library card?
Your ACC identification card is also your library card. You can obtain an ACC ID card from Campus Police and Parking Services in Room M2630. You will need this card to check materials out of the Library, to view audio/visual material on the first floor, to check out laptops to be used in the Library, and to check out reserve items.
How many items can students/faculty/employees check out of the Library and for how long?
Students, faculty, and employees may check out up to eight items including books, CDs, and audio books for a period of three weeks.
What are the checkout policies for videotapes and DVDs?
Students may check out videotapes and DVDs but they cannot leave the Library. Videotapes can be viewed on the first floor of the Library. DVDs can be viewed on the first floor of the Library or on a laptop within the Library. Headphones are also available for check out.
Faculty may check out videotapes and DVDs for classroom instruction. The number of items and length of time can be determined at the time of check out.
What are the checkout policies for laptops?
You must be a current ACC student and have a picture ID to check out a laptop. You cannot reserve a laptop; they are first come first serve. Laptops check out for a period of four hours and do not leave the Library.
I do not attend ACC; can I still borrow materials from the Library?
Yes. We are open to the community. The first time you visit us you will need to present a driver’s license and a public library card in order to set up your account. You can borrow up to four items for a period of three weeks.
How do I access eBooks?
Access to eBooks is available on campus by searching either ProQuest's ebrary collection or EBSCOhost's ebook collection. Off-campus users will need to enter their S number to access ebrary and the EBSCOhost username and password to access their ebook collection. The username and password are available on the Library tab in myACC or by calling 303.797.5746.
How do I renew items?
You can renew items you have checked out by calling 303.797.5090, by stopping by the circulation desk, or by accessing your library account online. To renew online, go to www.arapahoe.edu/student-resources/library and click on the “My Library Account” button. Type in your S# and the four digit pin you designated when you set up your library account. At this point you can renew your currently checked out items.
How do I place an item on hold from home?
To place an item on hold from home, simply go to our website, www.arapahoe.edu/student-resources/library, and access our online catalog. Click on the title of the book you are interested in holding and then click on the “Hold Request” button. Enter your S# and the four digit pin you designated when you set up your library account. The hold will be placed and we will call you when the item is available to be picked up at the circulation desk. If, after one week, you have not picked up your held item, it will be returned to the circulating shelf.
What are the Library’s overdue fees?
The library does not charge overdue fees. For most items, if the book, CD or DVD is three weeks overdue, we will put a registration hold on your account that will be removed as soon as the item is returned. Electronic devices will be considered lost at one week overdue and a registration hold will be placed on your account that will be removed as soon as the device is returned. Unpaid lost item replacement costs may be referred to a collection agency.
For Kindles and iPads
- Checkout period for Kindle/Kindle DX is 3 weeks with 1 renewal.
- Checkout period for iPad/Kindle Fire/Kindle Fire HD is 2 weeks with no renewal.
- You may only have 1 device at a time. Upon returning a device, you will have to wait a period of 48 hours before the same device can be checked out again. You must initial and sign a user agreement with each checkout.
- If you place a hold on a device, you will be notified via your ACC issued email address when the device is available for pick up. Devices will be held for 5 days.
- If you have the iPad/Smart Tablet for 2 weeks past the due date, your student/staff account will be charged a replacement fee for the device.
- If you have the Kindles for 3 weeks past the due date, your student/staff account will be charged a replacement fee for the device.
- This program is only available to ACC students and employees.
* Semester dates:
Spring Semester: January 1 – May 31
Summer Semester: June 1 – July 31 (during fiscal year end, last part of June, we will not be able to make purchases)
Fall Semester: August 1 – December 31
- You will be limited to 30 minutes when other patrons are waiting to use the computers. We will give you 10 minutes notice when someone is waiting.
- Please ask the library staff if you need help with printing; especially PowerPoint slides. You are financially responsible for all printouts - even the ones you printed by mistake or do not want.
- Black and white printouts are $0.10 per page and color printouts are $0.25 per page. We do NOT accept credit or debit cards.
- Do NOT save anything to the hard drive. All saved files will be deleted immediately when the computer logs off.
- All food is prohibited at the computers. Water bottles and covered drinks are allowed.
- Objectionable websites are prohibited. Guests found violating ACC's acceptable use policy will be reported to Campus Police.
How do I place items on reserve?
Items are placed on reserve by instructors. Simply bring the item to the circulation desk. You will be asked to fill out a short information sheet. The reserve item will be kept behind the circulation desk until you request that it be taken off reserve.
My instructor placed items on reserve. What does this mean and where are they?
Reserve items include textbooks, study guides, DVDs, microscopes, slides, models from the Biology Lab, and personal books that instructors have placed on reserve for their class. Reserve items are located behind the circulation desk in the Library. The check out period is determined by the instructor and varies from thirty minutes to one week.
What do I need to borrow reserve items?
You will need an ACC ID to borrow reserve items.
What are the overdue fees for reserve items?
Because reserve items are in high demand, they are considered lost sooner than other items. If they are returned one day past their due date, the item will be considered lost and a hold will be placed on the student’s account that will be removed as soon as the item is returned.
What if you don’t have a book or periodical article that I want?
If you need a book or periodical article that the Library does not own, we can get it for you from another library via our Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. This service is available to all ACC faculty, students, and staff. Simply find the item you would like through our catalog, Library Lynx, and click on the “Request Item through Interlibrary Loan” button on the item’s record page.
How long will it take to get my requested item?
It depends on the availability of the item and where it is coming from. Items from Colorado libraries usually arrive sooner than items from libraries in other states. It can take one to two weeks to receive materials so please plan accordingly.
Can I renew my interlibrary loan item?
It depends on the lending library but we will be more than happy to request an extension for you.
Where do I return the material I received from interlibrary loan?
Please return your ILL items to the ACC Library.