Arapahoe Community College

2014-2015 Catalog

Getting Started

Registration Checklist

1. Apply

Complete the ACC Application for Admission:

Online: (click on "Apply ")

In person: Information Central (Room M2800)

Fax: 303.797.5970

If any of the following categories apply to you, you will also need to include the documents indicated. No additional information is needed for high school graduates, GED holders or high school non-graduates who are 17* years of age or older.

You will be notified by email or letter of your acceptance and residency status after you have completed the application.

Transfer Students: If you wish to transfer credits toward a degree, your official transfer transcript must be sent directly from the transfer institution to Admissions and Records, Arapahoe Community College, P.O. Box 9002, Littleton CO 80160-9002. Hand-delivered transcripts will not be accepted as official for transfer credit evaluation purposes.

International Students: You must provide completed International Student Application Form; proof of high school graduation from an accredited high school or GED; completed International Student Affidavit of Financial Support; and proof of English proficiency. A complete packet of information on international student admission is available from ACC’s International Student Advisor at 303.797.5652.

High School Students: Several options exist for you to earn college credits while you are still in high school. Please contact the Student Recruitment and Outreach Office at 303.797.5637 (Room M2450) to discuss options and the application process.

2. College Opportunity Fund (COF)

Sign up for the COF Stipend, if classified as a resident for tuition purposes, to receive the discounted tuition rate.


Email: with questions about applying for COF

3. Financial Aid

Apply for Financial Aid if needed and complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


In person: Financial Aid Office (Room M2330)

Phone: 303.797.5661 for an appointment

4. Student E-mail

All ACC students enrolled in academic courses are assigned a school e-mail address and ACC communicates with students via e-mail only through this school-issued e-mail address. Activate your student email account by logging into myACC and following the instructions in your acceptance letter.

5. Assessment

Take the ACCUPLACER assessment test in the Testing Office (Room M2280). Call 303.797.5993 for hours.

If you are a first-time college student, are planning to enroll in college-level English or math, or you are a recent high school graduate, you must complete assessment in writing, reading and math unless you meet exemption criteria (see Student Resources & Services – Assessment section of this Catalog for a list of exemption criteria). To receive an exemption, you must present documentation to an Advisor, Testing Center staff or Admissions & Records.No computer experience is necessary to take the ACCUPLACER.

This no-fail un-timed test assesses your readiness for college-level coursework by measuring skills in reading, English and math. It is required by the Colorado Community College System. Results of the assessment are used in developing a plan for academic success at the College and for initial course selection.

You must present a photo ID when taking the test. There is a charge to take the ACCUPLACER test. Results are available immediately.

ACCUPLACER test accommodations are provided to qualified students with disabilities by contacting Disability Services (Room M2710 - Main building at the Littleton campus), 303.797.5937 v/tty.

No appointment is necessary to take the test at the Littleton campus. Allow approximately two hours for ACCUPLACER completion before closing times at the Testing Center.

To take the ACCUPLACER assessment test at the Parker Campus, call 303.734.4822 for an appointment; to take the ACCUPLACER at the Castle Rock Campus, call 303.660.3160.

6. New Student Orientation

All students new to college must attend a mandatory New Student Orientation. Dates, times, locations, and reservations are available online at

Transfer students are also invited to attend an orientation session geared toward their particular needs and questions. Dates, times and reservations are available online at

7. ACC Catalog and Student Handbook

Program requirements and important policy information is detailed in the ACC Catalog. Additionally, information about grievances, student discipline, the student code of conduct, and clubs / groups is provided in the Student Handbook. Obtain copies of both documents.

Online Catalog:

Online Student Handbook:

In person: Student Affairs Office (Room M2820)

8. Advising

All students are encouraged to meet with an Advisor (Room M2010 - Main building at the Littleton Campus). The Advisor will assist you with transfer credit information (if applicable), academic planning, course selection, registration, and international student assistance. For academic planning, bring ACCUPLACER, ACT, SAT scores and/or college transcripts with you. Call the Advising Office at 303.797.5664 for walk-in advising times, or to set an appointment for Advising at the Littleton, Parker or Castle Rock campuses. We strongly recommended each student meet with an Advisor each semester.

9. Register for Classes

We will notify you of your assigned Student ID Number ("S" number) in your acceptance letter. Search and register for courses online at by logging into myACC. It is recommended that you meet with an Academic Advisor prior to registration.

10. Disability Services

Visit Room M2710 or call 711 v/tty to request academic accommodations and for specialized consultation if needed. Appropriate documentation is required for accommodations.

11. Pay Your Tuition

Pay for your classes with a credit card online via myACC or with cash, check or credit card at the Cashier’s window (Room M2300 - Main building at the Littleton Campus) by the deadline listed in the semester schedule. Visit the website ( for information about deferred payments.

12. Parking and Student Photo ID

Get your Parking Permit and Student Photo ID Card from Parking Services (Room M2600). Bring your class schedule and paid fees receipt.

13. Bookstore

Print a copy of your class schedule online via myACC. Take your class schedule to the Bookstore, located on the first floor of the Main building, to purchase your books.

Options For High School Students

Concurrent Enrollment is a program where ACC partners with school districts to offer college classes to high school students. Concurrent enrollment courses may be offered at the high school during the school day, or students may take classes at an ACC campus. Interested students should check with their high school to learn which options are available to them.

High school, home schooled and underage (under 17) students not participating in the Concurrent Enrollment program may also take ACC classes. Contact the Student Recruitment and Outreach Office 303.797.5637, Room M2450 for more information about these options.


Residency requirements are determined by the Colorado Tuition Classification Law [CRS 23-7-101 et seq. 1973, as amended]. Non-resident tuition represents the cost of your education at public institutions. When a student is classified as a Colorado resident for tuition purposes, the difference between the non-resident and resident tuition is paid by taxpayers of the State of Colorado. Therefore, tuition classification, as mandated by state statute, is adhered to rigorously at Arapahoe Community College.

We classify you as a resident or non-resident student according to the information provided on your Application for Admission. Contact the Admission and Records Office (Room M2480) for information about required documentation for your residency status. If you feel you meet the requirements for Colorado residency you may appeal your classification. Submit a "Petition for In-State Tuition Classification," along with the required documentation to the Admissions Manager by the deadline date (30 days from the start of the term) for the semester in which you are seeking a classification change. Contact the Admissions and Records Office for further information at 303.797.5621 or email

Who Qualifies for Resident Status

To qualify for resident tuition, you (or your parents or legal guardian if you are under 23 years old and not emancipated) must have been domiciled in Colorado for at least one year prior to the first day of the semester that you seek residency. Domicile for tuition purposes is determined by two factors:

  1. Your ability to show a permanent place of residence in Colorado, and
  2. Your ability to demonstrate your intent to remain in Colorado.

You can prove your intent by providing evidence of:

  • Paying Colorado income taxes
  • Being permanently employed in Colorado
  • Owning residential Colorado real estate
  • Holding a Colorado driver’s license or vehicle registration
  • Registering to vote

If you have been classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes, you may submit a petition for residency, (forms available at Information Central or online at The deadline to submit a petition is the 30th day of the term for which you are petitioning.

If your residency petition is denied, you may appeal in writing to the Tuition Classification Hearing Board. The Admissions and Records Office will answer your questions about residency status.

Honorably Discharged Veterans may be eligible for residency. You can submit a copy of your DD-214 to the Admissions and Records Office for review. Once you have established one (1) year of Colorado residency you will be required to submit the Petition for In-State Tuition for Classification.

Resident Status for Active Duty Military

Non-resident active duty military personnel and their dependents may qualify for resident status by providing the following documents within 30 days of the start of the semester in which you are enrolling:

  • Certification from your base personnel office that you are on active duty with a permanent duty station in Colorado
  • A photocopy of your military or dependent ID card U.S. Military Service members of TDY (Temporary Duty) orders to Colorado and their dependents qualify for in-state tuition (but not COF) by providing the following documents within 30 days of the start of each semester in which they are enrolling:
  • Documentation of assignment or orders and copy of sponsor’s and student’s Military ID are required Colorado National Guard members and their dependents qualify for in-state tuition (but not COF) by providing the following documents within 30 days of the start of each semester in which they are enrolling:
  • National Guard Certification form and copy of sponsor’s and student’s Military ID are required.

Please re-submit your documentation for each semester that you wish to be classified as a resident. You can submit the above forms to Information Central.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

WUE is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Through WUE, students in most western states may enroll in many two-year and four-year college programs at a reduced tuition level-150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition. WUE’s tuition is considerably less than non-resident tuition.

To be eligible for WUE, a student must be, and remain, a resident of one of the participating states / U.S. Territories: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. If you have moved to Colorado in the last 12 months with the intention to attend ACC and plan to return to your home state after your education is completed, you may be eligible for the WUE program. No semesters in which a student is classified as WUE may be counted towards the 12 month domicile requirement to establish Colorado residency. Please be aware that online courses are not eligible for the WUE program.

To qualify, a WUE application form must be submitted no later than 30 days from the beginning of each term in which you are enrolling. Applications are available at Information Central or our Web site. Go to; click on Admissions and on Forms (or The forms can be submitted to Information Central, faxed or mailed. Please contact the Admissions and Records Office for further information at 303.797.5624, or email

Information on WUE is available at Questions may also be emailed to or sent to Student Exchange Programs, Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, PO Box 9752, Boulder, CO 80301-9752.

2014-2015 Catalog

Arapahoe Community College

About ACC

Getting Started

Paying For School

Student Resources and Services

Student Academic Records

Academic Policies and Procedures

Legal Notices

Academic Programs

Course Descriptions

Academic Achievement Courses

Accounting Courses

Activity Professionals Training Courses

Air Force ROTC Courses

American Sign Language Courses

Anthropology Courses

Arabic Courses

Architectural Engineering and Construction Courses

Army ROTC Courses

Art Courses

Astronomy Courses

Automotive Technology Courses

Biology Courses

Broadband Technology and Communication Courses

Business Courses

Business Technologies Courses

Chemistry Courses

College Composition and Reading Courses

Communication Courses

Computer Aided Drafting Courses

Computer Information Systems Courses

Computer Networking Courses

Computer Science Courses

Computer Web-Based Courses

Criminal Justice Courses

Culinary Arts Courses

Early Childhood Education Courses

Economics Courses

Education Courses

Eldercare Courses

Electricity Industrial/Commercial Courses

Electronics Courses

Emergency Medical Services Courses

Engineering Courses

Engineering Graphics Technology Courses

English Courses

Entrepreneurship Courses

Environmental Science Courses

Finance Courses

French Courses

Geography Courses

Geology Courses

German Courses

Health and Wellness Education Courses

Health Information Technology Courses

Health Professions Courses

History Courses

Horticulture Courses

Humanities Courses

Human Performance and Exercise Courses

Interior Design Courses

Investments Courses

Japanese Courses

Journalism Courses

Law Enforcement Academy Courses

Literature Courses

Management Courses

Manufacturing Technologies Courses

Marketing Courses

Mathematics Courses

Medical Laboratory Technology Courses

Medical Office Technology Courses

Meteorology Courses

Mortuary Science Courses

Multimedia Graphic Design Courses

Music Courses

Nurse Aide Courses

Nursing Courses

Occupational Safety Technician Courses

Paralegal Courses

Pharmacy Technician Courses

Philosophy Courses

Physical Education Courses

Physical Therapist Assistant Courses

Physics Courses

Plumbing Courses

Political Science Courses

Psychology Courses

Russian Courses

Science Courses

Sociology Courses

Spanish Courses

Telecommunications Technology Courses

Theater Courses

Community and Workforce Programs

Administrators and Faculty

Littleton Campus Map

Parker Campus Map

Castle Rock Campus Map