Get an edge in the rapidly growing field of fermentation with a Fermentation Sciences Transfer Major Associate of Science degree.
Would you like to take your brewing skills to the next level? Are you interested in a career in an exciting area of the food and beverage industry? Are you working in the food and beverage industry and want to improve your skills and advance? A degree in fermentation science could not only pave the way to a lucrative career in the beer or wine industry, but could also open doors to a growing branch of the health and nutrition industry.
What You'll Learn
Fermentation refers to a metabolic process through which yeasts or bacteria convert sugars to gases or alcohol. Beer, wine, and liquors are all made through fermentation, but the process is not limited to libations. The science also includes numerous food products, many of which show correlations to improved gut health and well-being. When you graduate with your Fermentation Sciences AS degree, you’ll be able to:
- Use scientific research methods and apply those principles to research, analyze experimental results, and draw reasonable conclusions from data
- Analyze knowledge of key scientific fermentation principles across various applications
- Identify main biological and chemical inputs and products for diverse fermentation processes
- Use fermentation biochemistry knowledge to analyze new situations
- Integrate biological and chemical processes to the stability and quality of fermented foods
- Understand the brewing process and explain the key factors influencing beer maturation, quality, and contamination
The purpose of a statewide articulation agreement is to identify the courses a student at a Colorado public community college must complete as part of an AA/AS degree to be guaranteed to be able to complete the designated baccalaureate degree program at public four-year colleges and universities as designated by the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) transfer agreement.
For more information about this transfer degree please refer to the Colorado Department of Higher Education website.
- GT - One GT Pathways -approved CO3 course (GTCO3)
- GT - Two GT Pathways Arts and Humanities courses from one of the following AH categories GT-AH1, GT-AH2, GT-AH3, GT-AH4.
- GT - One GT Pathways History course (GT-HI1)
- GT - One GT-SS1 or GT-SS2 course
GT Courses from the following list must be selected to bring the total credit hours to 60. Special Topics (275) and Independent Study (285) are not included.
- Any Guaranteed Transfer Course
Any course in the following prefixes except Special Topics (275) and Independent Study (285): AST (100 or higher), BIO (100 or higher), CHE (100 or higher), EGG (100 or higher), MAT (121 or higher, except 155 or 156), PHY (111 or higher), or any foreign language (111 or above).
Transferability of courses to colleges or universities outside of Colorado is determined by the receiving institution.
Your Associate of Science degree in Fermentation Sciences could prepare you not only to transfer to continue your education, but for a variety of careers in the food, beer, and wine industry.
After you complete your AS. degree in Fermentation Sciences you will be able to transfer to Colorado State University's BS in Fermentation Science and Technology program or Metropolitan State University of Denver's BS in Brewery Operations program to further your education.
Why Choose Fermentation Sciences?
As Colorado's brewing industry continues its rapid growth, there is increasing demand for professionals who understand the science involved. If brewing is your passion or hobby, come take your skills to the next level in our Fermentation Sciences program.
In addition to developing brewing skills, this program will expose you to the ways in which fermentation science is being integrated into the health and nutrition industry. There is tremendous growing interest and research on the benefits of fermented foods on the microbiome and gut health. Fermented food products, including kombucha, yogurts, ciders, cheese, bread, and pickled products are a growing market.
Our program is designed to give you a well-rounded understanding of fermentation sciences, as well as the business and marketing background needed to help you get the career you want.