International Students Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I choose to study at ACC?

  • ACC provides a safe environment for students.
  • Small class sizes and the opportunity to interact closely with your instructors and classmates.
  • A wide variety of degree and certificate programs.
  • Courses at ACC can easily transfer to bachelor degree programs in the state of Colorado, and possibly to other schools throughout the United States.
  • The College is located in a suburb of Denver, Colorado. It has a small-town atmosphere. It is a short commute to downtown Denver where you can experience the "big city" culture.
  • Skiing and other mountain activities are only two hours away.
  • Average annual temperature in Littleton is 11 degrees Celsius, with an average of 341 sunny of partly sunny days per year. Colorado has four distinct seasons with extreme temperature variation; average temperature in January is 1 degree Celsius; in July it is 23.4 degrees Celsius.
  • There is always something to do in Denver and across Colorado
    • Major league teams in football, soccer, baseball, basketball, and hockey
    • Cultural attractions like the Denver Art Museum and the Clyfford Still Museum
    • Denver Center for the Performing Arts
    • Denver Museum of Nature and Science
    • Hiking, whitewater rafting, and skiing/snowboarding
  • ACC is easily accessible by public transportation, with bus stops on campus and a light rail (train) station just two blocks away.
  • ACC is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools

What if I want to improve my English language skills before entering an college in the United States?

Spring International Language Center, located next to the ACC campus in Littleton, welcomes students who need to learn or enhance their English before starting their college studies.

How do I obtain a student visa to study in the United States?

The United States Department of Homeland Security provides information to on steps needed to complete in order to study in the United States.  Please click here to learn more about how to study in the United States.

What are the admission requirements for international students at Arapahoe Community College?

Please visit the International Student Admission page for detailed Admissions information and requirements.

Whom do I contact at ACC for information about becoming an international student at ACC?

Contact Linda Sulsberger, Admissions Manager, at 303.797.5624 or email

When I arrive in the United States, what documentation do I need to present to Immigration and Customs?

You will probably enter the U.S. through an international airport. If you do, you will go through Immigration and Customs there. You should have these documents:

  •  Your passport and I-20. The Immigration Officer will staple a very important white card (the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record) in your passport.
  •  Copies of your financial support documents.

How do I get to ACC once I have arrived in Colorado?

The Denver International Airport is about 40 miles from the ACC campus. Take a shuttle or taxi to ACC, a hotel or other pre-arranged destination. The airport has information on transportation and hotels. Some hotels provide airport pick-up.

ACC does not offer airport pick-up service.

Apartments Make living arrangements before you leave your country. If you plan to get an apartment, make hotel reservations in advance so you will have time to find an apartment.

Do I need health insurance?

Health insurance is required for ACC students who have an F-1 or J-1 visa. You must provide proof of insurance during the first week of class or you may purchase health insurance here.

Once I am a student at ACC, what do I need to do in order to maintain my status and remain eligible to study in the United States?

While studying in the United States, it is important to maintain your F or M student status. Your visa says that you are coming to the United States to study. You should not consider any action that detracts from that purpose.  Click here to learn more about what you will need to do in order to remain eligible to study in the United States.

You must complete 12 credit hours each semester, except summer, and maintain at least a 2.0 (C average) Grade Point Average (GPA). If you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress, you may not be allowed to remain at ACC.

While in the United States, whom do I contact if I have questions about my visa or eligibility to continue studying in the United States?

The United States Department of Homeland Security has several excellent resources for international students studying in the United States.  The following links are helpful for you when you have questions about the United States Immigration System.

You can also contact your Advisor at ACC.

What services does ACC have for international students?

  • International Student Club
  • Dedicated International Student Advisor
  • Free tutoring for all of your classes, including a dedicated Writing Center and Math Lab

Helpful Handouts for International Students:




Return to About ACC Frequently Asked Questions